Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sweet Potato and Leek Soup

I made this one up a few days ago and will definitely be having it again.  It happened because I saw some really fresh leeks at the store.  It is sweet, silky and spicy at the same time and can easily be thrown in the blender and pureed if you prefer, but I like it chunky.  My husband took it with him in a thermos while hunting and came home asking for more.  Enjoy.

Olive oil
3 leeks
1/2 sweet Vidalia Onion
1 small jar mushrooms
a handful of chopped carrots
1 Tbsp chopped or crushed garlic
1 Tbsp fresh ginger (I used the tube stuff)

2 cans coconut milk (I only had one, but wished I had a second which is also partly why so much broth)
1 tsp cayenne peppera dash of nutmeg
about 16 oz chicken or veggie stock (I used this mainly to thin out the mix a little so use how much makes you happy)
1 large can of sweet potatoes in syrup drained (I roughly chopped them while they were in the soup)

Heat up a large skillet to Medium and pour a few Tablespoons of Olive oil in.  Chop the leeks (just the white and light green) and then toss it a colander or big bowl of water and wash the crap out of them because they are notorious for containing dirt.  No one wants to eat pebbles.  Next chop the carrots if they aren't already.  Slice the Vidalia onion in thin slivers. 

Toss all the veggies except for the sweet potatoes in the heated pan.  Throw in the ginger and garlic and cook it down until the leeks and onion are clear and soft.  Then add the cayenne and nutmeg, coconut milk and broth.  Stir it all well and add the sweet potatoes.  Let it boil then simmer for at least 15 minutes.  At that point you could puree it all if you want, but I like my soup chunky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment