Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2013

Tourtiere (French-Canadian Meat Pie)

This is on my list of cheapest things I have made in a while.  I realize it is only cheap if you have a hunter in the family or a friend, but if not there are cheap ways to do this.  This pie is traditionally made with a mix of pork and beef, but is also made with lots of variations.  There are a few really popular ones including duck, deer, elk, etc.  I happened to have 3 fresh ducks and leftover Thanksgiving turkey so I went with that.  In different parts of Canada this is made with potatoes or without.  In this version I used leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving.  All versions use mostly the same spices, all use onion and two pie crusts.  I got lucky because my brother paid for Thanksgiving dinner and my husband went hunting so I only paid for the package of 2 premade pie crusts.  YAY!  Regardless, this is a wonderful comfort food in my house.  It is traditionally also served with ketchup, but it is tasty enough on its own. 




DUCK (and Turkey) Tourtiere

3 Tbsp (at least of fat, I used Olive oil because the duck I had were quite lean)
1 onion diced
4 duck breast halves cubed (it came out to about a lb and a half)
about a Cup and a half of chopped leftover turkey
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves (powder)
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Cups (about 16oz ) chicken broth (I used low sodium Better then Bouillon)
2 C Mashed potatoes (more if you find it is too soupy as this pie filling should stand on its own)

Take a large, deep, frying pan and melt the fat or heat up the oil to about medium high heat.  Put the onion and duck in the pan once up to temp and sear the meat for a few minutes.  Add the spices and broth and mix well.  Once the mix is boiling turn it down to a low simmer and stir occasionally for 2 hrs or more.  At the hr and 30 minute mark throw in the turkey and let it simmer for another half hour.  (WITH A LID)  In a 9 inch pie pan roll out the bottom crust.  At the 2 hr mark or later (no worries on that) drain out most of the broth then mix in the already cooked mashed potatoes until the mix is fairly stiff.  Put the mix in the pie pan.  Cover that with the second pie crust.  brush the edges and top with egg or milk and pinch the edges together.  I used a fork for that and used milk.  poke a few steam holes in the top crust.  Cover the edges with foil and put it into a 400 degree F oven for about 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 350 for another half hour.  I brushed on some butter to the top crust about half way through.  I also uncovered the crust edge for the last 10 minutes.  I had to turn up the heat to 375 because my oven sucks and because I live at 7500 feet above sea level. 

1 comment:

  1. Made this using beef broth and ground Oryx meat today. I also let it simmer in the slow cooker all day instead of doing it on the stovetop. Had extra filling so I just piled it high and put the extra deep crust on top. We shall see how it comes out, but by the smell of it YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete