Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

Country Pie

I cannot begin to express how much this recipe and this memory mean to me.  This recipe is from my Nana, Polly Capaldi.  It is a family favorite from our Matriarch.  It honestly brings back memories of my Rhode Island family hanging out in my Nana's kitchen all drinking coffee and cooking and of course chatting up a storm.  It reminds me of playing Bocce in my Nana's backyard while passing time away.  It brings back memories of sitting in my Mother's kitchen on the window seat patiently waiting for this to come out of the oven.  It even brings up recent memories of sharing this with friends in my own home.  Either way, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

NOTE:  This recipe is based at sea level so if you live above 5,000 feet like I do you may need to cook it a little longer.  Do not however change the oven temp.  For everybody, when making the crust it should be the texture of meatloaf and for the filling watch it on how soupy it is because it may be harder to keep pieces together once cooked.  It will taste phenomenal either way.  It really depends on what tomato sauce you use, so if you have extra soupy sauce add less water.

Country Pie

Crust
1/2 C tomato sauce (whatever kind you like, can even be a can of unseasoned stuff)
1/2 C bread crumbs (preferably Italian seasoning)
1 lb ground beef
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped green bell pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients and mix well by hand like you would meatloaf.  Pat into the bottom of a 9" pie plate and flute around the edges.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Filling
1 1/3 C minute rice
1 C water
1 1/2 C tomato sauce (again, use whatever you like, my preference for the filling is Contadina canned)
1 C grated cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt

Combine rice, tomato sauce, salt, water, and a 1/4 C cheese.  Spoon this mixture into the meat shell.  Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.  Uncover at that time and top the pie with the remaining cheese (I use extra cheese on top because I like a solid layer).  Leave it uncovered and cook for another 15 minutes.  Take it out to cool for a few minutes then cut and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment