Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Kate's Ratatouille

I made this one up over the summer because I had an abundance of tasty veggies from a friend's garden.  Thanks Bishops!  The important parts of this recipe are the eggplant, tomatoes and broth.  The other veggies can vary depending on what you have on hand or what's available at the Farmers Market.  I eat it with a great bread and farmers cheese, but go your own way folks.  Either way YUMMY

Kate's summer veggie Ratatouille

2 small white eggplants chopped into chunks
5 finger eggplants chopped into chunks
1 zucchini chopped into chunks
1 stem of kale
3 large tomatoes chopped into chunks
crushed tomatoes (I had about 10 oz of frozen fresh crushed tomatoes I made from last harvest) (you could probably use a regular can of crushed tomatoes)
small bunch green onion (chopped and just the green)
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 C (or more to your taste) wine or veggie broth (I used Fish Eye Pinot Grigio)((if you don't do alcohol at all try veggie broth)
sea salt
black pepper
sweet basil (I used dry but only because I didn't have fresh)
thyme (dry)
extra virgin olive oil


Chop all the eggplant and zucchini and tomatoes (not including the crushed ones) and toss into a casserole dish, sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and basil and thyme and drizzle with olive oil.  Roast at 425 for about 30 minutes.  Once the veggies are done dump the whole thing on top of the crushed tomatoes.  I also added one coarsely chopped stem of Kale at this point.  Cook on medium heat until boiling then add wine(or veggie broth), honey and green onions to taste and set it on simmer.  I had Fish Eye Pinot Grigio and used about a half cup. Simmer it for a while.  Serve with bread and cheese or rice.  This recipe is basically Ratatouille, but I didn't have any green bell pepper or yellow onion so this is my variation and it was so  AMAZINGLY tasty that I enjoyed it all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment