Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Alright folks here goes on numerous requests...Basic Homemade Macaroni and Cheese.  This is an easy Mac and Cheese that you can do on the stove-top and be done or finish it off in the oven with a crispy cracker crust and definitely basic enough that you can add all kinds of things like bacon or broccoli or green chiles or ham or peas even.  I will also add a bonus post: the Crockpot (slow cooker) mac and cheese recipe for those of you who prefer to set it and forget it.  This is all about cheese choices.  I prefer a good sharp cheddar and monteray Jack mix. Just keep in mind that I chose these not only for taste, but for texture upon melting.  This means NEVER use pre-shredded packaged cheese in this recipe or it will not work right.  ENJOY.

1/3 C all purpose flour
1/3 C butter (I use unsalted so you can be in charge of salt content also because cheese is extra salty, but feel free to use salted butter, but if you do be aware and always taste it before adding more salt)
2 C sharp cheddar cheese
1 C monteray Jack cheese
2 1/2 C milk
salt and pepper to taste

Cook a package of elbow noodles or whatever your favorite pasta is the way the pkg tells you except only cook for a few minutes (about 4 for elbows).  Average cook time is 8 minutes for elbows so half that and then drain it and add the noodles to a lightly cooking sprayed 9x13 casserole dish.  Set this aside and make the sauce.  I use about a pound of noodles (16oz pkg), but mind you I always have a ton of pasta on hand in large containers so I am guessing. 


Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium heat and then add the flour.  Stir constantly until this mixture is smooth.  SLOWLY add the milk and keep stirring the whole time.  Once the flour and butter mix has been fully incorporated into the milk then add the cheese.  Once all the cheese melts and the mixture starts to thicken then add the mix to your prepared pasta.  I put my noodles in a deep 9x13 casserole dish when they are done and just pour the cheese sauce on top and mix it in the casserole dish.  Once your pasta and cheese sauce are all mixed you can put it in the oven with a sprinkle of cheese on top at 350 for 30 mins. OR you can put about 4 T butter in a bowl and melt it.  Add 1 pkg hand crushed Ritz crackers to the melted butter and mix it up.  Sprinkle that on top of the mac and cheese and THEN put it in the oven.  For best results, turn up the oven to 375 for 10 minutes at the end.  If I plan on having leftovers and/or freezing some then I do not add the cracker topping.  Heads up...if you are a Frank's RedHot addict like I am and try to add some to the leftovers...DON'T because it makes the cheese sauce a wierd texture.  I still love to add Franks to my Kraft blue box mac and cheese, but this homemade stuff does not work the same.  I do love the heat so I choose to add green chiles or chopped jalapenos instead :-)  I will post the Slow Cooker version in a bit.      

I always wait until it is served to add any salt or pepper as those are a personal choice.  If you feel like bacon just mix the cooked pieces into the sauce then mix it with the macaroni.  Same with any other additives.  Add them to the sauce stir for a second and then pour the mix on the pasta. 




No comments:

Post a Comment