Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Chicken Piccata (lemon chicken)

This is a great recipe.  I hadn't made it in a long time and so I pulled it out a few weeks ago.  Every time I come back to a recipe like this one I wonder why its been so long.  This one reminds me of how much I love capers.  There are a million recipes out there for this one.  It is basically lemon chicken.  AWESOME.  Quick and easy too.  Enjoy.  I just bought 2 jars of capers so I can do this one again tonight.
Oh and if you are buying chicken for this, you have two choices, buy regular boneless, skinless breasts and pound 'em out.  Mind you, I don't have a mallet so I use my extremely heavy spoon rest and put the chicken in a ziplock bag.  Whatever works I say.  OR, you could buy already thin cut chicken breasts.

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pound total)
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup flour
Salt and pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chicken stock or dry white wine
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup non pareil capers (I add more because I like them :-))
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley

Cut the chicken breast halves horizontally, butterflying them open (or use already thin ones). If the pieces are still thick after butterflying, put them between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound them to about a 1/4-inch thickness.
Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan in a bowl with a large bottom. Rinse the chicken pieces in water. Dredge them thoroughly in the flour mixture, until well coated.
Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet on medium high heat.  (DO NOT put all the chicken in the pan at once or it will not brown right)  Brown a piece at a time, well on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and put it in the oven on a plate to keep it warm until all the pieces and sauce are ready. 
Add the chicken stock (or white wine), lemon juice, and capers to the pan. Use a spatula to scrape up the browned bits. Reduce the sauce by half. Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Plate the chicken and serve with the sauce poured over the chicken. Sprinkle with parsley if you like the stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment