Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas



I adapted this one from an old recipe my Grandmother Bagnal gave me.  It is a staple in this house.  Yummy, creamy with a kick.  You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own, doesn't matter.  Only suggestion I have is to never use prepacked shredded cheese.  ALWAYS shred your own bock of cheese.  Also make sure and read all the notes in parenthesis.  I like it saucy and spicy :-)  The pictures are of the ground beef version I made of this with added corn.  Same sauce and cheese, but ground beef and corn instead of chicken.

Cream Chicken Enchiladas

2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 C shredded cooked chicken (usually I use about 2 large boneless, skinless breasts)
2 Tbsp diced green chillies or more(I use about 1/2 a cup of 505 green chiles in the glass jar)
4 oz cream cheese (cut into little pieces)
salt
oil
8 taco size flour tortillas (you can squeeze 10 out of this recipe probably)
1/3 C whipping Cream (I often up this to almost a Cup, sometimes I substitute sour cream)
1/3 can cream of chicken soup (I often up this to a full can)
8oz Monterrey Jack cheese (I use more then this, but that's my preference)
chopped green onion, slice black olives (I often don't have either of these so whatever)


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish.  Melt the butter in a large skillet over low heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is limp but not brown, about 20 minutes.  Remove from the heat and add the chicken, chillies and cream cheese.  Mix it together lightly.  Add salt to taste.  (this next step I often skip and instead spray the pan with extra veggie oil) Heat about a 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet.  Dip the tortillas one at a time into oil and fry until they begin to blister and become limp, but do not let them get crisp.  Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels.  Spoon some filling down the center of each tortilla.  Roll it and set the seam side down in the baking dish.  Mix cream of chicken soup with whipping cream and moisten the tops of all the rolled tortillas then sprinkle with grated cheese.  Bake uncovered until heated through, about 20 minutes.  Garnish with green onions and black olives.  Squeeze lime juice over top just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment